Good news! The high school application deadline is extended to Friday, March 11.
NOTE: the info below was originally posted as a Google Doc: High School Update from Ms. Miller
Key point’s for February Break in regards to the High School Application Process:
- The new deadline to submit your high school application is Friday, March 11
- The deadline to register for LaGuardia High School auditions is Friday, March 11
- The date for submitting virtual auditions or other additional materials is Friday, March 11
- If your child is applying to Nest + M please be aware that they have added an additional screening to their admissions requirement. Following are the details:
- Rank NEST+m on MySchools application
- Complete the NEST+m Online Admissions Activity
- See the rubric being used to grade the Activity
- Submit your work using the Google Submission Form
- Borough and zone priorities remain in place / District priorities are eliminated
- Continuing Schools’ priorities remain in place (6-12)
- Common audition arts component
- Attendance is not a factor in admissions
- SHSAT offers released before HS application & LaGuardia offers
Virtual and in person auditions:
All auditions take place remotely (some schools have an in-person option). Submit audition files through the Additional Materials in Myschools by March 1, 2022.
How to submit materials: http://schools.nyc.gov/HSAuditions
How to sign up for LaGuardia auditions.
Families have reported that using Chrome works best.
- Sign into MySchools: https://www.myschools.nyc
- Go to student’s dashboard.
- Click on Specialized High School.
- On upper left of screen, click on LaGuardia.
- Sign up for the audition or auditions.
Assessments for Screened Schools:
Applying to Consortium Schools
- Visit: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollment/enroll-grade-by-grade/high-school/assessments-for-screened-schools
- East Side Community School
- Institute for Collaborative Education
Applying to Consortium Schools cont.
- School of the Future High School
- Beacon High School
- University Heights Secondary School
Random Assigned Numbers and Ranked Numbers Explained:
Diversity in Admissions Information:
- In depth explanation: http://schools.nyc.gov/DiversityAdmissions
- One way that your child could qualify for diversity in admissions is by filling out the online lunch: https://www.myschoolapps.com
What makes a balanced application?
- 12 programs you want to attend.
- Not only high-demand program
- Mix of admissions methods
- Your child is in the first priority group for some programs
- Only apply to programs that you want your child to attend
Preference Order of Programs:
- List programs in your true order of preference, starting with your top choice.
- High schools cannot see the order of programs on your child’s application.
- Students are considered for offers in the order of the programs on their application.
- If you do not get into your first choice, then you are considered for the next choice. It’s as though the next choice is your new first choice.
- 97% of students who listed 12 programs = offer from application